A Small Trove of Character Gems!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
klondike

A Small Trove of Character Gems!

Post by klondike »

Am watching a second season episode of "Perry Mason" on DVD, and what a jackpot of character actors it boasts: as defendant - Don Beddoe; as chief suspect/nosey neighbor, Welsh actor Robin Hughes; as small-town DA - Paul Fix!
In the episode just before this one, Robert Armstrong portrayed a conniving army finance officer!
Too kool for skool! :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: A Small Trove of Character Gems!

Post by moira finnie »

Would I be correct that you are watching Perry Mason while lighting a candle on a cupcake in front of the tv screen to celebrate the anniversary of William Hopper's birth this week on January 26th? "Paul Drake" would have been 95! :shock:

Let me know when you get to the episode of Perry when David McCallum shows up as a ski bum. That was quite a stretch for one of your Scottish types. And no, he doesn't schuss down the slopes in a kilt. As I recall, his blond tweeness is swallowed up in a massive cable knit sweater, but he still looks cool hanging out in the ski lodge.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

David McCallum IS cool :oops: :lol: :oops:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I love when the ladies get all done up in their gowns and furs and, walking with Dr. 'Ducky", go right past DiNozzo with his mouth hanging open, like a kid who can't believe his ice cream fell off of the cone!!!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:.
I love when the ladies get all done up in their gowns and furs and, walking with Dr. 'Ducky", go right past DiNozzo with his mouth hanging open, like a kid who can't believe his ice cream fell off of the cone!!!
Anne, are you referencing "NCIS"?
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Klon, have you watched the BURKE'S LAW? These are like Columbo+LoveBoat, with 2, 3 sometimes 4 guest-stars in the episodes. This is a police-whodunit, usually with the guest-stars being the bad guy.

PERRY MASON is my preferred series but BURKE'S has the considerably larger menu of guest stars, and the on-going griping-war between old-timer detective Regis Toomey and rookie-hotshot Gary Conway gives Gene Barry a chance for the show's closing quip. I still prefer the PERRY version of this banter when it's Perry, Paul & Della vs. Burger and Trask, but BURKE'S is an out-of-the-blue pleasant surprise - never seen it before, and it's been a fun staple for an episode or two's re-watching.

There's even an episode called WHO KILLED APRIL? from Jan, 1964, and I have assured MissG this never has anything to do with my resultant cheshire-cat-grin. (She's never thought to ask about my cackling and hand-rubbings. Whew-! And apparently, my cutest-ever voodoo doll just doesn't seem to work on her.)
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I love Barbara Hale ! :D
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Klonny:

Of course!!!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

ken123 wrote:I love Barbara Hale ! :D
Yeah, she's such a nice blend of the sardonic, the capable and the mischievous as Della Street. I always loved those looks she'd give Perry when she thought that he or Paul Drake had gone off the deep end.

I know that she wasn't an earth shaking actress, but I am a bit surprised that she didn't have a bigger movie career. I just love her teasing byplay with Jimmy Stewart in The Jackpot (1950). Wholesome yet sexy, somehow.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

ken123 wrote:I love Barbara Hale ! :D
Eye candy then, and (rendered immortal by film) eye candy now!