Merlin

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Merlin

Post by mrsl »

I know someone will post this item in the 'gone without fanfare' thread, but this is my own little Thank You to a bear of a man. Although a complete Chicago Bears fan, I remember that big, defensive end being on the sports clips nearly every week. In a career of 15 years, Merlin was voted to the Pro Bowl 14 times, that's the Oscar in football sports. He was tough on the field, and a really big man, but he could fly in that white and yellow uniform. Then when he left football, he turned up on The Little House on the Prairie, wow, was I shocked, but pleasantly. He was almost a mirror image of Pa Ingels, just as dedicated to family, just as positive about doing the right thing and just as good a father.

What really hit me when I heard the news today, was that I saw him in that crazy Betty White commercial too, during Super Bowl. Haven't seen him in years and there he was in all his glory.

So Thank you Merlin for being a good guy. We could really use more of you today to honor and idolize. But he was lucky, he played in the days before drugs, media, and instant celebrity hurt more than helped. I'm sure most sports fans from the 60's and 70's join me in saying:

* * * * * "Rest in Peace, friend."* * * * *
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Re: Merlin

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:

What really hit me when I heard the news today, was that I saw him in that crazy Betty White commercial too, during Super Bowl. Haven't seen him in years and there he was in all his glory.
Betty White Superbowl Commercial:

[youtube][/youtube]

Uhh . . where's Merlin? :|
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

The old guy at the end was Abe Vigoda. You are right in we haven't seen Merlin in years.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
patful

Post by patful »

I skipped the Super Bowl, so I missed the commercial. Just awful about Merlin Olsen, mesothelioma is not a good way to go. Superstar on the field, great TV football commentator, and probably the only athlete I consider a good actor. :-(
klondike

Post by klondike »

patful wrote: and probably the only athlete I consider a good actor. :-(
Somewhere in Florida, Burt Reynolds is weeping.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Sorry Klondike:

Betty was on one of the talk shows this week, and his old film was on between her and Abe. Maybe it was cut? Or maybe as usual I'm having a senior moment.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

klondike wrote:
patful wrote: and probably the only athlete I consider a good actor. :-(
Somewhere in Florida, Burt Reynolds is weeping.
And I hear that up in Valhalla, Chuck Connors and Bruce Bennett are pretty miffed too.

Here's a more recent picture of Merlin Olsen, at a Pro Football Hall of Fame luncheon in Florida in January, 2009. His warmth always seemed rather genuine. I hope it was and that his family is comforted by his release from pain. Patful is so right about mesothelioma being a dreadful disease.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
patful

Post by patful »

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant famous NFL personalities, O.J., Namath, Jim Brown, etc..
klondike

Post by klondike »

Uhh, patful, I don't mean to worry ya or nothin' . . :roll:
But Fred Williamson just called, and demanded to know your home address . . I told him I didn't know it, but I think he thought I was lying . . :x
(Hopefully, he won't remember I'm a Green Bay fan . . . :|)
patful

Post by patful »

Fred Williamson? Certainly more prolific, but not better. Don't tell him I said that. :-)