River of No Return (1954)

movieman

River of No Return (1954)

Post by movieman »

I'm very tired right now, but I've just seen the movie "River of no Return".
It sure is no classic, but it's beautifully photographed by cinematographer Joseph LaShelle. Almost any movie photographed by Mr. LaShelle is worth seeing.

Many people holds this one as one of their favorites. I'd say it's a favorite as a very entertaining movie with two very interesting screen personalities. Mitchum is one of my favourite actors. Monroe is no favourite, but it's obvious in this movie that she had that something. Her part is a little meatier than the "blonde bimbo" parts she most often got + she sure is sexy in this role. The film show's no sign of trying to subdue her sexiness.

The movie has some interesting pros:

The Music: Beautiful music, I loved it! Robert Mitchum sings the title song over the opening credits and it was very beautiful. I hadn't heard Mr. Mitchum sing this beautifully before. (I wasn't even aware it was Mitchum singing, until after I'd watched the movie. I found the info on the Internet Movie Database, imdb.com).

"River of No Return" is a very beautiful song. (I found myself wanting to sing it myself when listening to it. I haven't told you I'm a singer, until now.) I regard Mitchum's and Tennessee Ernie Ford's versions of the songs highest, but Monroe does a fine, sultry version of it too. It's nice to have three versions of the same song in one movie, especially when it's this good.

Another thing about the music: the use of diegetic music striked me as very well done. In one scene you could even here diegetic guitar strumming offscreen. I wasn't even aware of the fact that Marilyn Monroe knew how to play the guitar, but the film is clear proof.

I've read various internet sources which states that Mitchum and Monroe did their own stuntwork in the raft scenes (don't know about the boy Tommy Rettig). But, I'm quite sure they did, as you can see in the film... plus, I read it in the Trivia section of IMDb. Now, that's impressive! And dangerous it was too. According to film historian Sylvia Stoddard, in the leaflet of the DVD package: "While on location, Marilyn Monroe fell in the Maligne River twice, was rescued by Mitchum and the crew, and tore at least one ligament in her ancle, which sidelined her for a few days."
The leaflet is an enlightening and enjoyble read.

Right now I'm almost falling asleep... Good night!

But, I'm going to bed to read about the movie in the excellent book: "Robert Mitchum: solid, dad, crazy" by Damien Love (2002).

Sincerely

Even
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Although it didn't make my list, I like River of No Return very much.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi movieman:

I hope you see this when you wake up tomorrow. This is one of my favorite Mitchum roles, but then, whichever Mitchum film is playing is one of my favorites, so that's not saying much.

In the first place, I thought it was Tennessee Ernie Ford singing over the credits. It wasn't until after seeing Mitchum and Jane Russell with RO that I learned it was Mitchum. He had a good, clear, resonant voice, much like Elvis Presleys', I wonder why he never added professional singing to his repetoire.

Secondly, his chemistry with both MM and little Tommy were excellent. In fact, Tommy seemed quite reluctant to play the short part where he was supposed to be angry with Bob. But he was a fine little actor and did a good job, plus being so lovable with MM.

MM was absolutely gorgeous in this one, whether in her jeans or the saloon get-up didn't matter. Her make up was less piled on also, so she didn't have that horrible hard look she usually had. I loved the wrestling match between her and Bob, and wonder how many takes it took.

Poor Rory Calhoun was all but forgotten in this one. I guess they wanted to groom him as a Rock Hudson wannabe, but no such luck.

You're also right about the scenery, those mountains in the very beginning when he's leaving to go pick up his son are breathtaking. I always thought that movie was filmed on the Colorado. I believe you, but I have to look it up to see where it actually was. The name you said was unfamiliar to me.

I'm happy to know there is a fellow River of No Return fan out there.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I think MM didn't rate RONR but i rate it one of her best films

it's the only film she made where MM played an action heroine and in this she's a revelation. also it's the only film where she interacts with a child, again she's brilliant

it was also great to see MM in jeans. i was almost going to say she was dressing down, but clearly she wasn't, because MM was a sexy as ever.

i also think MM was one of the sreens great all round entertainers and IMO she proves it here by singing the title song and I'm Going To File My Claim
movieman

Post by movieman »

Anne and John M,

About the locations for this movie.

Nearly 75% of it was shot in outdoor locations in the Canadian Rockies, in the Jasper and Banff National Parks there, according to Sylvia Stoddard in the DVD leaflet.

The Internet Movie Database names this as filming locations:

Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada

Jasper, Jasper National Park, Alberta, Canada

About the soundtrack:

I was a little disappointed there's no mono mix to be found on the disc.
That was until I watched the trailer which boasts "Stereophonic Sound". The sound of the singing parts are very, very good. The "Stereophonic" talking part is good enough. It could've been better, but gets the job nicely done. Remember, this was early stereo, some years before pop and country music records made any use of it.
It's a 4.0 Dolby Surround mix, but you'lll get stereo sound using a 2-channel system.

Keep in mind: I'm referring to the 2006 "Cinema Classics Collection" release which contains, I believe, the same restored transfer as previously found in the "Marilyn Monroe: The Diamond Collection #2".
Please, note that the leaflet says "Cinema Classics Collection". So, it might be exclusive to that release.

Thank you all for very interesting replies. I'm very grateful.

The book "Robert Mitchum: solid, dad, crazy" by Damien Love, didn't have much to say about the film, but the little I read was quite interesting. It says, among other things, that Mitchum knew Monroe from when she was 15-16 years old. She was to marry his friend Jim Dougherty in May 1942.

Sincerely

Mr. Even B
movieman

Post by movieman »

Sorry, but I don't believe it's Mitchum singing over the opening credits. It must be Tennessee Ernie Ford.
But, during the ending of the movie I'm willing to bet it's Mitchum we hear. It sounds different to the voice in the opening. It's fuller / richer.
I say, I prefer the Mitchum version to the Ford version.

Even B
klondike

Post by klondike »

Well, as a hardcore Bob Mitchum booster (perhaps second only to Anne, here at SSO), and one who's run likewarm about River of No Return for the last dozen years or so, I can at least offer this:
Given Rory Calhoun's very spotty film credits (dominated for the most part by B & C-list films), this movie right here makes a nicely accessible "case in point" when I counter the majority of film-buff opinion about modern heart-throb George Clooney's "uncanny" resemblence to Clark Gable . . typically when I opine that the stronger resemblence is to Rory Calhoun, the response coming back is almost invariably some version of: " . . . Roy Who??" :? :roll: :?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Boy, you really think you know someone . . . then you find out after all these years how wrong you've been. I made comment about Bob singing, and although I go to certain sites on the net, I don't surf very much. Today trying to find out about the singing, I found a couple of Robert Mitchum fan clubs and clicked onto them. I learned he DID make several albums, singles, and a couple of CDs, all with a western/southern bent.

I also pulled out my two videos of RONR and studied the credits at slow motion. There is no mention of Tennessee Ernie, either in the beginning or at the end. I'm pretty sure Ernie was such a big star that IF he had done the singing, he would have demanded credit for it. Also, if you really listen closely, you can tell from certain words that it IS Bob singing both. MM is the only one who also sings it, and I think she does a really 100% great job.

Addditionally, I've said before, that ending, with him going in the saloon and picking her up and carrying her out is one of the very best and most entertaining movie endings I've ever seen. I wonder if the writer and/or director of An Officer and a Gentleman ever saw RONR. If it wasn't for the almost rape scene, this would have been a perfect family film, but because of that, you can't recommend it.

Anne
Anne

klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote: Today trying to find out about the singing, I found a couple of Robert Mitchum fan clubs and clicked onto them. I learned he DID make several albums, singles, and a couple of CDs, all with a western/southern bent.

Anne
Hey, Anne, didn't he also do the theme song for Thunder Road?
:roll:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Yes Klondike:

He wrote that AND did the singing.

Anne
Anne

movieman

Post by movieman »

Well, Anne,

I checked with the IMDb soundtrack listing, which looks like this:

* "River of No Return"
Performed by Robert Mitchum

* "River of No Return"
Performed by Tennessee Ernie Ford

* "The River of No Return"
Performed by Marilyn Monroe

* "I'm Gonna File My Claim"

* "One Silver Dollar"

* "Down in the Meadow"

I'm aware that imdb isn't always 100% reliable.

It's strange they didn't give credits for singing the song.

Even B
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

RONR

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Movieman, I have to recommend Lee Server's most excellent biography of Robert Mitchum if you haven't read it.

The Damien Love book is not as in-depth and all-encompassing as Server's, but it does have some great moments. Later this month, Lee Server will be a Guest Author on SSO.

RONR is one of my all time favorite films, for many of the reasons previously mentioned on this thread.

Marilyn Monroe as action heroine, victim, songstress, mother-figure. Being with Matt and Mark on the river, eschewing her heels for boots and jeans allows for a final metamorphosis that is a kind of Western Pygmalion. But Anne's assessment of the final scene mirrors my own. The romance of the moment is that the Mitchum character, Matt Calder, takes a stand and makes his move. Gals love that ending. His "I choose you, and you're coming with me now!" makes us swoon because he knows what he wants, and he isn't afraid to show everybody how he feels. None of those cowpokes in the saloon do anything except shout and complain about their momentary loss of sensual, musical entertainment. Matt Calder is in the game for keeps.

When Kay kicks off those shoes and they're left laying in the dust of the street, we know that she's finally ready to let go of her dream of glittery big cities with empty hearts and grasping natures.

And for many reasons stated in earlier posts, that song haunts me, too. They all took care of each other through betrayal, bandits, hunger, cold, swirling river currents, indians, and a final traditional gunfight at the end. The pacing also helped to quicken the pulse because just when a viewer feels that events will settle down, another threat appeared, in some ways precursor to Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is a love-as-a-primal-force-of-nature song. Once you see the movie, the song has a much wider appeal.
movieman

The song "River of No Return"

Post by movieman »

Listen to this take, by Tennessee Ernie Ford, on the song "River of No Return" and decide who sings it in the movie.

[youtube][/youtube]

Even B
Last edited by movieman on February 3rd, 2008, 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.