Is the internet really bad for me?

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Is the internet really bad for me?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Is it really true that the internet is bad for me? The reason now given is that it doesn't encourage literacy.

I must be the contradiction to this statement. Before joining a forum the only chance I had to exercise the literary chamber of my brain was by writing letters to send to clients. When I joined a forum I hadn't worked for two years, we'd decided that it was better that one parent stayed at home and I was the natural choice. Faced with the daily chores that accompany the mother of small children my brain started turning to mush because it did not get stimulated.

Posting on this forum changes that for me, I do have chance to exercise my brain and engage in the sharing of views. How is this of detriment to my literacy, it surely helps me become more articulate and hones my reasoning.

Not only is it good for my literacy but it's good for me on other levels. A pleasant exchange of views, a chance to log on whenever I want, to not feel so alone when stuck in the house on the interminably rainy days that we get here. An adult voice when all I can hear is children.

A chance to expand my knowledge of an interest I've had since I was a teenager, this wouldn't have been possible without the internet. I've no idea where this interest stemmed from. None of my family are the least bit interested and find me, a bit off the wall. Why can't I like football?

Since I was a teenager I've trawled bookshops, especially when I've been on holiday. I searched for five years to get a copy of My Wicked Wicked Ways now I can locate copies all over the world.

Most importantly I have some good friends now in places all over the world who I keep in touch with.

Yet again the report about the internet is just another headline grabbing ploy. Sure it does have some downsides but it's opened up my world of knowledge, I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It can be. Like anything it is a matter of how it is used. I'm a relative novice at boards. I'm here and at TCM. Maybe it is that most of us here are of an age where we get to use our education. We can be literate and because of the level of posters it can be a great education.

I worry more about the kids. Between this and text messaging the short cuts they use in their discussions are creeping into the vocabulary and school work. It's part of a bigger problem where some kids don't learn anything. They have a calculator or spellcheck or any number of aids that they use as a crutch. Sometimes this great tool that has made finding an answer so easy causes some people don't think they have to learn anything. It's all here at the key board.

You mention books can be found anywhere but I find it interesting the world wide group we have here. Some don't post anymore but when you think people as far away as we are or some in Australia or South America and those who speak different languages are part of this group I find it fascinating.
Last edited by movieman1957 on July 8th, 2008, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

As movieman says, text messaging, and spell check are damaging to the intellect. Before too long, we will have young people who can't form a full sentence. I've already had discussions with my grandson about math and why we need to know how to do some things the old hand written way. His answer was, I'll just do it on my calculator, but as I said, what if your battery is out? Then I'll use the computer, and what if the electricity is out? Well we went round and round for 20 minutes and he actually won because he always had another correction, until about a week before school let out for summer. He had some math homework, but had left his calculator in his locker, and while the rain was coming down in buckets, there was no electricity. He was really sweating it because this homework was a large part of his final grade, and it was quickly looking like he was not going to complete it. So in the thick of the thunder and lightning, his mother, my daughter, drove over and got my calculator. I couldn't help throwing in a "I told you so".

At least CCF, you're right in saying that all of us here at SSO use full language and complete words. I notice some of that 'shorthand' working itself into some of the posts over at TCM however.

Unfortunately I fear the internet will possibly be the end of a couple of long time work opportunities like newspapers, and magazines, not to mention video stores, and possibly even eventually libraries.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I personally see the internet as a tool. The benefits or drawbacks are in the hands of the user.

However, one of the things that does alarm me is that anyone can represent themselves, objects, ideals, etc. without the scrutiny of the printed word. While this is nothing new, there are so many people who are willing to take these writings at face value--just because they read it on the internet. Wikipedia for example, often contains as many errors as truths.

I also feel there is a huge difference in the knowledge we gain by reading the printed word, investing our time in a subject, and finding a quick answer that really does not have the depth or scope of our question. As a result, we are inheriting a society that knows a little bit about everything, but lacks understanding about anything.

An interesting editorial by Leonard Pitts Jr. recently surfaced about this very idea:

http://tinyurl.com/62ut6p
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on July 8th, 2008, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

It's new and it's going to take some time getting used to. Another problem is the massive downloading, it's a big issue here and it looks like the politicians still have no idea of how to solve it. As the prime minister said, you can't prosecute a whole generation.

Generally I have a had a very positive experience with the internet. Like CCfan, I have made a lot of friends all over the world, and found people to connect to, who share my interests. Facebook is great for keeping in touch with old school friends, and relatives abroad.

I see it as a tool which has benefits and drawbacks as well. That everyone can now express their views in text and create opinions is one of those cases. One flaw with democracy is that, although everyone has the right to speak, not everyone can make their voices heard. With the internet this has become easier. The drawback is the depressing fact that there are many morons out there, and people spreading false information. One positive side is that you often get confronted by people with completely different outlooks, and learn to accept that there are other ways to view the world. I have learned a lot from the internet. I've learned plenty of English, too.

I heard that a lot of Estonian computers have been subjected to massive attacks, though, and this is something that really worries me. It's becoming increasingly easy for strangers to hijack computers. That's why I've switched to Firefox now.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I have been using the Internet since 1996. At first, it was purely for work purposes. Now, it's become a prime tool for me to contact people. I really couldn't live without it.
As for literacy, well, I think a forum like that can only improve your spelling and literacy. But if you spent all your time, writing SMS in abreviated form (personaly I am unable to understand or to write such messages.....probably getting old!) and use the Internet as you prime tool of knowledge, obviously is wrong.

I never use the Internet as a 'prime tool of knowledge'. I still go back to the written word. Wikipedia and other sites are improving but they are still unreliable. As for IMDb, it's a great tool for cross-referencing actors/directors, but, that's all! It contains so many errors and the reviews are extremely poor. I am nevertheless glad it exists! But my dictionaries of cinema will continue to be well thumbed.

I don't know for you, but I really don't like to read a long text on a screen. If a text is beyond a certain length, I always print it to read it on a piece of paper....So I don't think the Internet will ever replace the written word. It will perhaps allow you to download a text; but, I bet you will print it to be able to read it at ease. :wink:
Last edited by Ann Harding on July 8th, 2008, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

I'm with you about the long texts, Annharding. If I find a good article or essay on the net I print it out, I can't stand to read it on screen. And, it's always better with books if you want something more in-depth.

I use the internet to find out a lot of basic information and check quick facts, but when I want to know more, which is often, I look for a book. So the internet is good for stimulating curiosity in my case.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

All of the opinions expressed here are as the internet should be seen. A useful tool to help in learning and having new experiences. However, the main thing nobody has concentrated on is the statement, 'Depending on how you use it'. As adults we all use the internet to meet people, learn facts and figures on questions we have regarding various items, discuss things within our interest span, etc. However, the internet is also a learning tool for things we do not want our children to learn, such as how to make a bomb, or a gun, etc. That info is on the internet, and many people choose to ignore that fact. Youngsters are sneaky individuals and although most of them know wrong from right, their curiosity usually overcomes their intelligence which is not yet fully enforced with integrity. They tell each other things, and if you don't have the password, in many cases you cannot get into their 'my space' to see what they are into. As a parent you have to be 75% spy, and if your children have a computer with internet access, you better know equally well how to browse.

If you think I'm cynical, try raising 4 kids alone. I eavesdropped at plenty of doorways during phone confabs, and drove them to lots of family rated movie theaters, (thank goodness my kids didn't have multiplexes). and turned many a mattress during laundry day to check for books, cigarettes, magazines, etc. My kids were plenty sneaky, but I was more so. But, today, everything is under lock and key so to speak, and parents are called upon to hunt for hidden words and numbers. As I said, the internet is great as long as it's used properly.

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

You are hardly cynical. I have a 17 and 20 year old and we still try to keep an eye on things. A big concern can be gaming addiction. I somtimes think my son was hooked. He has calmed down on the amount of time but he still plays. He realized he was spending too much time but it was out of boredom and some depression as some of his friends had abandoned him. It's better for him.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Chris:

His friends probably abandoned him for the internet. My 15 year old grandson had that problem, and he rides his bike over to my neighborhood and hangs with the kids around here. They have comps, but are restricted to only night hours where they can be monitored.

I love these Shrek promos where all the characters are urging and pushing the kids to go outside and play for at least an hour a day. Those promos should be played every hour on the hour, especially on kids channels. That's another thing, that's why our children are so overweight, they don't run around and work off what they eat.

Anne
Anne

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Bryce:

I don't know about you, but when I got my own computer about 3 years ago, I became totally enamored by it. I could sit in front of it for 20 hours a day finding new things. It was a new toy and living alone gave me a wild sense of getting out in the world.

I'm not blaming the internet for the ruination of life as we know it, I'm just giving a reason for kids suddenly not wanting to be out and about. I KNOW it happened just like that for my grandson. He loves to go to the park and play baseball, football, basketball - whatever is going on, but suddenly nobody was there - they were all at home because they all got computers for graduations, birthdays, confirmations, etc.

I generally speak from experience, not my fantasy world - that stays on my shelves with my video collection.

Anne
Anne

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I guess I hate being told what is good for me and this is why I brought up the subject. I'm intelligent enough to know the downside to my internet usage (yes I could be doing housework some of the time but that's no fun :( and it does get done) I know that I can spend what I think is half an hour online and realise it's over an hour. I mostly go online at night when it's my time.

We have a lot of reports telling us what to do, especially if you have children. It's starts in the antenatal classes. God forbid the woman who has given birth who for one reason or another can't or won't breastfeed. You'll be treated like a second class mother. I know it is better to breastfeed a baby but sometimes the baby can't or won't or the mother is much too ill. My husband had to wait with our second child for four hours because I was in the operating theatre after the birth. They would let him feed him, no, he'd get a taste for the bottle, so to speak. So he waited for fours hours with a screaming hungry baby, it the last thing I wanted to do when I got back from theatre.

Our school dinners are monitored now, no chips at all or anything remotely unhealthy. I have to say I do understand that it is better for a child to eat healthily but complete denial isn't the way to do it. I send packed lunches and you feel guilty for putting a small chocolate buscuit in there, despite the fact I've packed Sandwiches on brown bread, yoghurt and fruit. I think she's entitled to a buscuit. Wait until they get my second child, he's so fussy :roll:

I'll get off my soapbox now. I just get irate with 'professionals' think they know what's best for my children. At the same time children who are in need of help aren't getting intervention.

The children aren't using the internet yet, hubby and I have a computer each to minimise arguments. Hubby does teach computers in secondary school mostly to boys. He's heard of most of the tricks and knows his way around a computer so I'm hoping he will know how to keep tabs on our two.

There are consequences of overuse of particularly computer games in his school. One child had a letter written in to school by his parents saying that he couldn't come to school on time because he was staying up playing computer games until the early hours. :roll: I'd have to confiscate that playstation.

I think it is up to the parents to involve tem in other activities and open up their mind to the world when they are young, give them experiences and a solid family foundation. They will no doubtedly have a love affair with their computer but with all crazes hopefully it will fade and they will learn to use it in moderation. At the end of the day they will be entitled to make their own choices soon enough and you can only equip them as best you can. I will approach their adolescence with both hope and trepidation.

Back to the internet in general. I love it for shopping, price checking etc. For obtaining general information but like others I am dubios about wikipedia. The imdb is great for cross referencing but it will never take the place of my beloved books. I could never read a long text off a computer screen. Were I work likes to use computer based learning, to me it only works properly if it is in bit size chunks otherwise I either get lost somewhere in the programme or fed up.

Text talk, I'm undecided about this. Language evolves, renews itself almost. I do abhor text talk and never use it myself but if it is used by enough our language will evolve and include text jargon.

As long as there are havens like this I'll be happy
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Bryce and Anne:

I have a hard time giving my son too much grief about playing as it is not unlike my situation when I was his age. When in high school and shortly thereafter I didn't have a lot of friends. At that time many school mates drank, partied, did other things that I wasn't interested in. Girlfriends? Not hardly. (My wife's history was different in a more pleasant way so this whole thing is more of a puzzle to her.) That is when I fell in love with movies.

Movies saved my sanity. I had very little to do. I had a part time job but had a lot of free time. I spent weekends in the basement watching Bogart and Stewart and Wayne, a lot. I got through it. I've told him he will too.

Each generation has its "thing." Gaming is his. We've talked and he understands but as he mentions that he is mild compared to some. I don't doubt it.
Chris