Silly Question

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
ken123

Silly Question

Post by ken123 »

After reading the Lainie Kazan thread, I fell in love with her the first time that I saw her,I got to thinking ( non - political ) that so often Jewish actors/actresses have played Italian or Italian - American characters in films, many of which are Mafia - related,but for the life of me I cant think of one instance of the reverse. I am sure that there must have been some.Can anyone think of an instance of the reverve ? :D
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

DeNiro in ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA immediately came to mind.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
ken123

Post by ken123 »

ChiO wrote:DeNiro in ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA immediately came to mind.

How could I have forgotten ? I have the film on DVD ! :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

How about the Italian-Americans Valerie Harper as the very Jewish Rhoda Morgenstern on Mary Tyler Moore and Anne Bancroft as Harvey Fierstein's mother in Torch Song Trilogy . . . . I'm sure there are many, many more.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jdb1 wrote:How about the Italian-Americans Valerie Harper as the very Jewish Rhoda Morgenstern on Mary Tyler Moore and Anne Bancroft as Harvey Fierstein's mother in Torch Song Trilogy . . . . I'm sure there are many, many more.
Ignorant me - I didn't know that Valerie was Italian. Torch Song is a film that I have not seen or know much about. :cry:
klondike

Post by klondike »

I recall that when Moonstruck first came out, many urban Italian clubs & leagues were vocally upset that neither of the two female lead roles went to a woman of Italian descent, but rather to an Armenian, and a Greek.
I also remember that once the film's popularity really exploded, and the quality of the script & performances sank in with audiences across the country, the outrage petered off PDQ!