Another Loss

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
jdb1

Another Loss

Post by jdb1 »

The NY Times reports that Edie Adams has passed away:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/16/movie ... obituaries

Adams, a trained opera singer, was married to Ernie Kovacs, a brilliant, loving but very difficult man, whose early death left her saddled with debt. She raised his two daughters as her own. Those girls were the subject of a very arduous custody battle, which Kovacs eventually won. The girls always referred to Adams as "my mother Edie." She suffered a great many losses in her life, including the loss of her daughter Mia, the child she had with Kovacs and, I believe, the death also of Kovacs' daughter, Kippy. She always kept her good spirits. A beautiful and gifted lady.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Definitely one matchworthy lady!

[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

One more number from the lovely Ms. Adams...
"That's All"
[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

You know, the obit says that she did 'commercial work' to pay off Kovacs' debt to the IRS. In fact, much of that work was a direct payoff of debts that Kovacs (man who liked to gamble and hated to pay bills) owed to various sponsors of his TV shows. A great many of those commercials, especially in the years immediately following her husband's death, were done for free.

In later life, Adams owned an almond farm.

I remember Ernie Kovacs' television shows from their earliest days in New York (possibly the first thing I ever saw on our very own first television). When I was a little girl, I always thought Edie Adams, who appeared in skits as well as singing, was beautiful, as well as being impeturbable - a bastion of melodic calm amid the manic goings-on. Those early show are unfortunately lost, it seems, except for clips here and there. The stuff that survives is not the best that Kovacs & Co. were capable of.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

So sorry to hear about the death of Edie Adams. She was certainly a beautiful and versatile entertainer whom I especially liked.

I was lucky to see Miss Adams in person in 1979. It was at the High Point, North Carolina furniture market. She was appearing at the third annual
Milliken luncheon show.
Of Course the lady pulled out all stops as she danced, sang and performed fabulous impersonations. It was indeed a treat.

May she rest in peace.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Dewey, wizard of the turntable, could you find "My Ship has Sails" by Edie Adams? As I recall, that was her favorite song, or perhaps it was Ernie Kovac's. Her version is hauntingly beautiful. Thanks!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's a commercial I remember very well (although we did not have color TV at home when it ran in the early/mid 1960s). Wow, those cigars were only 10 cents! I wonder if anyone could find a photo or something of her as Daisy Mae in Lil' Abner (on Broadway)? Those likenesses were all over the Theater District when I was a girl -- she was definitely a babe.
[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey Nancy, sorry to say I couldn't locate a vid of Edie doing "My Ship
Has Sails." I did, however, find this great clip of Edie and her husband,
Ernie Kovacs when they appeared together as the mystery guests on
the old "What's My Line" program back in 1956...
[youtube][/youtube]
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Dear Judith, Klondike, and Dewey,

I am also sorry to hear of the passing of Edie Adams, a genuinely
sweet lady from what I have gathered.

Thanks for the links! I've really enjoyed reminiscing and seeing her
commercials, and that funny appearance on What's My Line.
Tony Randall was his usually crisp, witty self.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor