Robert Osborne on JEOPARDY!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Jezebel38

Robert Osborne on JEOPARDY!

Post by Jezebel38 »

OK, so am I the only Jeopardy freak on this board? They seem to be including classic film catagories more often on the show, and I even recall one time, maybe a year ago (?) when there was a Silent Film Star catagory. But on Monday night they included an official TCM catagory where Robert Osborne filmed each of the "answers". I have a hunch they must have a major film fan on their pannel of writers. Anyone else catch this?
klondike

Post by klondike »

Yes, I caught that, and No, Jez, you sure ain't the only Jep freak on this site; I never miss it, or try not to; it airs @ 7:30 locally, so unless TCM or PBS is running something especially attractive, the wife & I usually enjoy it during or just after supper.
I aced the category, as I imagine most TCMers would since the clues were not very challenging; still, what a treat to have RO featured on Jeopardy, and to find out that Alex is a big fan, too!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I saw that segment too, and enjoyed seeing RO play game show host. Does TCM have a trivia board game as Disney does? If not, maybe they should.

However, I don't enjoy Jep as much as I used to. I find that it, like most everything else in America, has been dumbed down and has many more media and pop culture questions than it used to. I notice also that there are a lot more of the "hard" questions on Jep which none of the contestants is able to answer. Alex always looks so disappointed and annoyed when that happens.

For me, the allure of Jeopardy! has always been its high intellectual standards, and those appear to be eroding. Some of the current game shows are so self-referential, and seem to have nothing but questions about TV and who's in this week's People. I would hate to see Jep become like that, and why should it? It's been on for centuries now, so apparently even Joe Sixpack likes to watch it. He and I like it because there's always at least one question we might be able to answer, and as for the rest of the questions -- we might learn something.

Remember Win Ben Stein's Money? Now those were hard questions!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I think there is a TCM version of "Scene It" but I'm not sure.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

There is in fact a "Scene It" based on the classics aired by TCM. What I 'd like to see (if it doesn't already exist) is a "Trivial Pursuit" game based on Classic Cinems. That would be a lot of fun (and educational as well)!

Seeking knowledge,

Hollis
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The Silver Screen Edition of Trivial Pursuit, which focuses largely on movie trivia from the silent era to the 1970s, was produced when the craze for the game was at its height. I used to have a set, but gave it away after everyone refused to play with me anymore. It just wasn't fun anymore. :cry:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I had a similar problem. Once after not only answering a question but finishing the question, as they were having a problem with a pronunciation, ended the game quickly and have never returned to TP. That's been awhile too.

There are other movie games out there but they tend to be more modern in content.
Chris

klondike

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote:The Silver Screen Edition of Trivial Pursuit, which focuses largely on movie trivia from the silent era to the 1970s, was produced when the craze for the game was at its height. I used to have a set, but gave it away after everyone refused to play with me anymore. It just wasn't fun anymore. :cry:
That was my experience as well, nearly verbatim! Back in the mid-80's, our more frequent houseguests used to call it: "Trivial Pursuit Silver Screen Edition, or let's all stroke Klondike's ego"; I felt like such a heel, eventually I just gave up & agreed to play bridge, and then sulked as I helped my partner lose hand after hand.
With rare exceptions, I've found houseguests bearable only when invited for barbecues. Give me an old-school Scotch ceilidh anyday!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Ollie sent me this film that he recorded of TCM, I loved it on first viewing. Is it a cult movie?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Ollie sent me this film that he recorded of TCM, I loved it on first viewing. Is it a cult movie?
Alison,
Did Ollie send you Jeopardy (1953), the John Sturges movie with Barbara Stanwyck and Ralph Meeker? Or are you toying with us??

In any case, we're talking about Jeopardy! an American game show that has been around for decades.

Though I don't watch this show that often, after reading others' comments in this thread, I caught a few minutes of the program this evening. Alex Trebek mentioned during an "Ask Alex" segment that his favorite movie was How Green Was My Valley and even though he'd seen it many times, it still made him get misty. How great is that?!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

BTW, where is Ollie?
Chris

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I was talking about the 1953 movie :oops: silly me :lol:

Ollie was travelling the world again last time I heard from him.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

He and Stanley are at a Sons of the Desert convention... let's hope their alibi boat doesn't sink! :lol:

Oh. Not that Ollie. Nevermind. :roll:

My daughter got me the TCM SceneIt game for Christmas a couple of years ago. We played it once and then they wouldn't play it with me anymore. :( I still have my Trivial Pursuit Silver Screen Edition game around here somewhere. Unfortunately, whenever we play, I am required to answer ALL of the questions on the chosen card to win the game. :? It used to be that the other players chose the final question, but when they started chosing the one I knew the answer to, the rules changed again. :x

I still remind my daughter of the time I won a game of TP in two turns. After that, we usually had to play Beyond Balderdash so everyone got to play on every turn. :wink:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I sometimes feel a bit awkward in playing these trivia games because I know I'm going to win, and that sounds ever so egotistical, doesn't it?

But I'm glad to hear that there are others in the same boat. This is why I'm usually the one who makes up the questions when we play such games.

Maybe we should get together some time and formulate a Super-Expert-Master-Mega-Ultra-Titanium-Summa Cum Laude version of a movie trivia game.

Oh -- wait -- then who would we sell it to?

Incidentally, you learn, don't you, when you play games you are really good at, that there are a lot of people of your acquaintance who can be awfully ungracious losers. I don't know why - are they so insecure? It's only a parlor game, for pete's sake. You don't see me losing any sleep over the fact that I've never mastered the art of ice skating, or that I can only do the "times 5" and "times 10" multiplication tables without pencil and paper (and fingers).