Ann Dvorak Alert !

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

The Secret of Convict Lake (1951)

Post by moira finnie »

The Secret of Convict Lake (1951-Michael Gordon) is a melodramatic but interesting and brisk 83 minute Western, with a setting nearly as cold and bleak as that of Day of the Outlaw, though not filmed with nearly as much thoughtful panache as that Andre de Toth-Robert Ryan film and a much smaller budget. The movie purports to tell the tale of how the real lake in California's Sierra Nevadas got its name in 1871. A group of convicts, who include Glenn Ford, Zachary Scott, Irish actor Cyril Cusack, uber-baddie, the snake-eyed Jack Lambert and Richard Hylton, escape from their guards and make their way through a harrowing blizzard to the somewhat deserted log cabin settlement on the shores of the lake in question (which we really never get a good look at). They are seeking shelter that they desperately need, though Zachary Scott and Jack Lambert are convinced that Ford knows where $40,000 of stolen loot are hidden as well. Though they are able to find shelter at the lake, the convicts are kept in isolation by those who live there.

The settlement is entirely populated by women, headed by feisty Ethel Barrymore as a canny, bedridden matriarch who tries to keep the other younger women in control of the intruders. Barrymore's performance is one of the best of her later years, full of vinegary resolve and common sense, despite her infirmity. The younger women include the always welcome Ruth Donnelly, Ann Dvorak as a skittish, angry woman driven by her own fears more than her reason, Gene Tierney as a capable young woman who seems to be able to take care of herself and Barbara Bates as the most naive of the girls, who soon forms an attachment to a younger convict (Hylton). Tierney is there because she's engaged to Dvorak's brother for pragmatic rather than emotional reasons. The men are expected to return soon but before they do, Tierney and Dvorak learn to question everything they think they know about the men (particularly the brother) and their own strengths and weaknesses.
Gene Tierney in The Secret of Convict Lake

Tierney and Dvorak both give very good performances. Though the film did not have time for a great depth of character development, it was interesting to see Tierney playing one of the strongest characters of her career, almost a blend of Belle Starr and Mrs. Muir, at a time when her career had begun its decline. Dvorak invests all her scenes with an intensity that makes the film better than it appears to be based on the script. She is particularly effective in her silent moments, especially when she becomes concerned about being alone in the barn.

Glenn Ford and Zachary Scott as antagonists are okay, though neither of them is as effective as I've seen them in different films and are outshone by the ladies. Michael Gordon, the director seems to have had a very eclectic career, working on Another Part of the Forest and Act of Murder as well as Pillow Talk and other fluffier numbers. I hope that you'll add your impressions. I think I saw this so long ago that I'd forgotten the film until I stumbled across it recently on FMC. I don't believe it is commercially available on DVD or VHS.

Has anyone else seen this movie?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: The Secret of Convict Lake (1951)

Post by movieman1957 »

I did years ago. I remember being surprised at finding Tierney in a western. Now knowing there were a couple of others shows how long. I came right after the title so I had no idea what I was watching.

I thought the premise was interesting enough. I don't remember much except the setting and the performances being solid enough. It wasn't great but good enough. I don't think I have ever seen it listed since.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Re: The Secret of Convict Lake (1951)

Post by JackFavell »

This movie sounds so good to me right now. I haven't seen it, but I am becoming a big fan of westerns like this and Roughshod., where the women completely outshine the men.

I love Gene Tierney, and think she is in some ways underrated because of her looks. There is just something about her that makes me want to watch her. And Ann Dvorak is becoming a favorite for me.... I like her high strung intensity and her down to earth voice. She can go a little over the top, but she pulls it off, because there is always a lot of feeling behind her tirades. There is a force, and a sadness too to most of her characters. Even when they are on the edge, they have a sort of strength.
ken123

Ann Dvorak Alert !

Post by ken123 »

The Secret of Convict Lake will be shown on FMC pm Monday April, 19th at 8am ( edt ) :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Ann Dvorak Alert !

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks, Ken. I hope others get to see this noirish movie. It's an interesting small scale western for the female characters played by Dvorak, Gene Tierney and Ethel Barrymore. I never realized it was an actual place until I saw this again a few months ago.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

At the end of the movie it states the lake originally had a different name (I didn't catch what it was), and it was re-named after this incident occurred.

This isn't your normal western. It is held in a western region, but that is all. There is no stagecoach, street shoot out, saloon, etc., all the other things that designate a western. I never heard of it before today, and tuned in out of curiosity and happy I did. I stayed with it through the whole movie. The posse who is out looking for the escapees, is made up of the men from the settlement, so there is no tenseness from the convicts about being caught at first. Some of the women are quite capable of taking care of their homes, and others are useless. I saw a lot of Laura in Gene Tierney's character - - a woman standing up for what she feels is right. Ann Dvorak was the 'pain in the neck' that every western seems to need. Ethel B. is of course, above any kind of critique. Glenn Ford was his usual kind of whiny hero, not sure if he wants to be in charge or not, and Zachary Scott was a perfect slimy, sleazeball. I found it to be pretty good, although predictable in two or three scenarios, but on the whole, not too bad for early morning, or a quiet afternoon.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

[youtube][/youtube]

On Jan. 31st, at 5:45 AM ET on TCM:
Midnight Alibi (1934)
An elderly recluse shelters a gambler on the run from bogus murder charges. Cast: Richard Barthelmess, Ann Dvorak, Helen Lowell. Dir: Alan Crosland. BW-58 mins, TV-G

Based on a Damon Runyon story, this was the last film that Richard Barthelmess, whose star was descending made at First National. Having seen him in Heroes For Sale in recent years, he has become a much more interesting figure in early talkies than I ever realized, having thought of him as primarily a silent star previously. Midnight Alibi was released, according to IMDb, on July 14, 1934, which was the day when The Production Code began to be enforced, so it seems that it was also the beginning of Ann Dvorak's diminished ability to express her free spirit on film. It was the movies loss, though Dvorak went on making movies periodically--often in small roles--and stealing them handily.

I'm really not sure if this is any good at all, but if I know my WB product, it will be fast if nothing else.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Love Ann Dvorak. Hopefully a biography of Ann is in the works. There is a website devoted to Ann.
She's so good in I WAs AN AMERICAN SPY and sings beautifully, "Because of You".
Also love her with Randolph Scott in ABILENE TOWN.
She should have been one of Warners top stars but went to England with her husband and stayed there a while.