Judi Dench

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Judi Dench

Post by stuart.uk »

On the day Susannah York's death was announced Judi Dench gave an interview, where she shows she's going from strength to strength even suggesting a film with Clint Eastwood is a strong possiblity. Part 2 of the interview is also available on the link

BBC News - Dench: 'You get to boss James Bond'
7 hours ago
Dame Judi Dench talks to Andrew Marr about playing M in the James Bond films.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12201649
knitwit45

Re: Judi Dench

Post by knitwit45 »

Dame Judi is my favorite contemporary actor. I have seen her play royalty, drunks, spies, lovers and other strangers. Whatever she turns her hand to, I believe in what I'm seeing. As of the first of the year, the local PBS station discontinued "As Time Goes By"...they replaced it with two truly awful BritComs, "Outnumbered" and "The Worst Week of My Life". I tried to watch both last night, had to turn them off....AWFUL! I'm sure Dame Judi's loyal fans will put out such a screech, the station will rethink their unwise decision.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Nancy

Here's 2 Judi links. One is from her sit com A fine Romance with late hubby Michael Williams and the other Morcambe And Wise

Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I love Judi Dench. I have such warmth for her in anything I see her in. She is truly an actors actor.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I don;t much about Dench's career except for the last 29 years. That consists mainly of "Bond" and "As Time Goes By" (which I love) and a few other films. I suggest "Iris" as a must see for her. There is some language and some nudity but her performance is great. She is also very good in "Mrs. Brown."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

To see her as a young woman, I recommend her as Anya in The Cherry Orchard, with John Gielgud and Dame Peggy Ashcroft, available at Netflix or on youtube here:
[youtube][/youtube]

And here as Madame Ranevsky:
[youtube][/youtube]
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Was lucky enough to see Judi on stage as "Desiree" in Sondheim's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. She was sensational and her "Send in the Clowns " is the best I have ever heard.So moving.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

how wonderful! to see her in person.... and if ever I got to meet her, I would make a complete fool of myself, I'm sure....
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

movieman1957 wrote: She is also very good in "Mrs. Brown."
I consider that one of her finest role and I would love to see that movie on TCM someday!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Movieman, I loved Judi Dench and Billy Connolly in Mrs. Brown.I just feel that she was marvelous, and she and Connolly made quite a pair. I loved the slow warm up, and seeing her finally step away from that unbearable grief as Connolly forced her out of her seclusion. It takes a Scotsman! Ay....

In 2006 I was lucky enough to see Dame Judi in Noel Coward's Hay Fever at the Haymarket Theater in London. And the reverential theater crowd is different from an American crowd. I mean you just don't rustle the caramel candy papers
while Dench is emoting! The farce is a delightful ensemble piece that Dench relished. She is unbelievably charismatic on stage, and I felt so lucky and privileged to have been able to see her. A lovely, warm memory of a drawing room comedy set during a "weekend" in the country.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've recently been going through her TV series "A Fine Romance." A bit lightweight and against character with what we know her as today but might be worth a look if someone wants to venture into little known works.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think of her most recent works, my favorite performance on film is in Notes on a Scandal with Cate Blanchett. Man! To watch those two play off each other is amazing! It's heavy duty drama, the acting is exceptional.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I thought she was lovely in her Oscar-winning roll of Queen Elizabeth I in Elizabeth, and I started paying much more attention to her after that. I admit that I haven't seen Notes on a Scandal or much of her wonderful series work featured on the BBC except some occaisional episodes here on PBS.

But Notes on a Scandal is on my bucket list. There are so many films that I wish I could have seen, but because of my "single Mom" status, had to forego to keep the roof above our heads.

I also felt her performance in Shipping News was superb. She just instinctually grasps how to hold back and then let it all go in a torrent of vitriolic facts through the eyes of her characters.

Right now, I am enjoying her matriarchal role as Lady Augusta Bracknall in The Importance of Being Earnest on the Indie channel.
Dame Judi as Miss Mattie Jenkins in Cranford

Would you want to be working in customer service when this woman showed up?
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! No way!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Sue Sue ... She was marvelous as Queen Elizabeth I ... in Elizabeth. I love that film so dearly as Mrs. Brown. Thank you for reminding me!