Noir Alley

Dargo

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Dargo »

NoShear wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 5:39 pm
...or is that Ross Martin's alter ego in disguise, Dargo?? ;)
Considering how Ross' most famous role, Artemus Gordon, could often get on a tear attempting to explain things to James West, you might be onto something here, NS. ;)

(...as Phil is often wont to do this very same thing)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 1:46 pm I am guessing that the Twin Peaks home is the one Kelly and Toby were raised in -- the parents died (according to the backstory I've created) and left it to their children in a will.
LOL!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 10:27 am I love Experiment In Terror, I like the fact that it is just a lean, mean thriller with no time for romance or comic relief.

Glenn Ford can be bland but not here, his no nonsense FBI man is well suited to him. He does show some kindness to the little boy whose mother is involved with psycho killer Ross Martin.
And what was the point of adding the little boy subplot? (aside to padding and extra 10-15 mins. to the running time) It really could be cut without hurting the story.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 1:44 pm
Detective Jim McLeod wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 10:27 am I love Experiment In Terror, I like the fact that it is just a lean, mean thriller with no time for romance or comic relief.

Glenn Ford can be bland but not here, his no nonsense FBI man is well suited to him. He does show some kindness to the little boy whose mother is involved with psycho killer Ross Martin.
And what was the point of adding the little boy subplot? (aside to padding and extra 10-15 mins. to the running time) It really could be cut without hurting the story.
True Hibi, although I suppose it could be said that this subplot might've been added to perhaps help humanize Ross Martin's character and to show a reason for his need of the $100K.

(...to pay for the kid's medical bills, that is)
ElCid

Re: RAe: Noir Alley

Post by ElCid »

Dargo wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 4:33 pm
laffite wrote: October 30th, 2023, 7:44 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 30th, 2023, 7:33 pm I would agree. And for me the ultimate creep-out scene in TERROR is Remick at the mirror in the women's restroom....
I was about the same age as Stephanie (I haven't looked it up, but close) and that delectable creature was one of my first mad crushes that still reigns supreme. Unless Dargo has taken her away from me. Although she lost her appeal when she grew up. She had my heart but not my Hart.
And then on the other hand, and while I'll say my crush on Stefanie (spelled with a 'f' not a 'ph', and whose 81th birthday is actally today, coincidentally) was created when as kid I watched her just a few years later on from this film and when she starred on TV's 'The Girl from U.N.C.L.E.' (and perhaps also when your crush was on her was created as well?), I've always thought she got even more fetching and attractive as she gained a few years under her belt.

And especially so when she was in her forties and co-starring with Robert Wagner in 'Hart to Hart'...

(...FWIW, when I watched 'EIT' this past weekend for maybe the third time now, I was once again reminded of how, oh I dunno, I guess I'd say kind'a pudgy and gangly she was in her teenage years and before she starred in the spinoff U.N.C.L.E. program)
I thought the same thing about her appearance in EIT. She definitely improved with age.
If you can find them, check her out in the Rockford (1975) and Route 66 (1963) episodes. I thought she was in two Route 66's, but Wiki only lists one. Anyway she was very good in both shows and looked very good as well.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I have an almost pathological distaste for Dennis O'Keefe. Don't ask me why.
Dargo

Re: RAe: Noir Alley

Post by Dargo »

ElCid wrote: November 4th, 2023, 3:20 pm
I thought the same thing about her appearance in EIT. She definitely improved with age.
If you can find them, check her out in the Rockford (1975) and Route 66 (1963) episodes. I thought she was in two Route 66's, but Wiki only lists one. Anyway she was very good in both shows and looked very good as well.
Thanks, Cid.

I've also always thought earlier in her carrer (or as laffite might say, before she got "all glammed-up" ;) ), Stef was very good and very attractive in that 1967 David Janssen flick 'Warning Shot'.
Last edited by Dargo on November 5th, 2023, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 5th, 2023, 6:00 pm I have an almost pathological distaste for Dennis O'Keefe. Don't ask me why.
Okay Bronxie, I won't ask you why. However, and while I've never been all that impressed with the guy myself, I thought he was pretty darn good in 'Abandoned'.

(...and especially so with his line delivery of the surprisingly clever dialogue in this film)
Last edited by Dargo on November 6th, 2023, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 2:38 pm
Hibi wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 1:44 pm

True Hibi, although I suppose it could be said that this subplot might've been added to perhaps help humanize Ross Martin's character and to show a reason for his need of the $100K.

(...to pay for the kid's medical bills, that is)
LOL! I guess so.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 5th, 2023, 6:00 pm I have an almost pathological distaste for Dennis O'Keefe. Don't ask me why.
I don't find him appealing either. A sort of low rent Dick Powell in noirs. Annoying.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

I agree that O'Keefe is not overly impressive, but I did enjoy him in Abandoned. Cover Up is one of my favorite "Christmas" movies. I had not known that O'Keefe co-wrote the screenplay for it under a pseudonym. Of course I consider Barbara Britton the main attraction and then throw in William Bendix.
O'Keefe does a good jobs in most movies I have seen with him as the type that just plods along putting pieces together, holding the plot together and so forth. Not an in you face type actor - which is often good.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Another actor who I've also never been all that impressed with but I think deserves a shout-out to in 'Abandoned' is Gale Storm.

I thought she was not only well-cast in her role as the small town girl in the big city for the first time in her life, but also thought she handled her role very convincingly as well. And in addition, I thought there was real chemistry between her and O'Keefe in the film, and which I thought the budding of was well-paced and believable...

(...might be the only film I've ever seen her in and in which I've found her a very appealing presence)
Last edited by Dargo on November 6th, 2023, 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

And speaking of "the big city" here in regard to this film...

I thought it a bit strange that while it was obviously filmed in Los Angeles and even featured L.A.'s famous City Hall building, the movie strongly implied that L.A. was standing in for any big city in the nation. I noticed that the map which Jeff Chandler sticks thumbnails into while on the manhunt for the culprits near the end of the picture didn't seem to be of L.A. as well. However and during this same car chase sequence, it's mentioned that the culprits are seen speeding under the "Torrance Underpass"(of the old Pacific Electric, aka "Red Car" rail bridge), a location of which I'm very familiar due to my formative years having taken place not far from it.

I started wondering why this was. Perhaps the producers of the film might've felt L.A.'s city fathers would have objected to such a story taking place within their town? But then and during Eddie's outro, he mentioned that this story was inspired by events which had recently taken place in Memphis, TN, and so I suppose that might've explained it.

(...anyone else here ponder this while watching this flick?)
Last edited by Dargo on November 6th, 2023, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: November 6th, 2023, 3:13 pm And speaking of "the big city" here in regard to this film...

I thought it a bit strange that while it was obviously filmed in Los Angeles and even featured L.A.'s famous City Hall building, the movie strongly implied that L.A. was standing in for any big city in the nation. I noticed that the map which Jeff Chandler sticks thumbnails into while on the manhunt for the culprits near the end of the picture didn't seem to be of L.A. as well.

I started wondering why that was. Perhaps the producers of the film might've felt L.A.'s city fathers would have objected to such a story taking place within their town? But then and during Eddie's outro, he mentioned that this story was inspired by events which had recently taken place in Memphis, TN, and so I suppose that might've explained it.

(...anyone else here ponder this while watching this flick?)

Not really!!!

Was disappointed they didn't use more on location footage of LA (like in Bunker Hill, etc.). But maybe that was a conscience decision on their part advancing your theory about Anywhere USA?